Thursday, October 22, 2015

Imperial Palace (Edo Castle) Yinyuan Visited in 1658


Ote Gate of the Tokyo Imperial Palace from which Yinyuan might have entered, photo by Jiang Wu
During my recent trip to Japan, I stayed at Grand Arc Hanzomon Hotel which is next to the imperial palace, old Edo Castle. I was unable to get in but this is the place Yinyuan visited when he had an audience with the fourth Shogun Ietsuna 徳川 家綱  (1641 – 1680) in the winter of 1658. I have a very detailed description of this meeting of a Chinese monk and the Japanese rule in my book Leaving for the Rising Sun, pages 128-131. I know the palace has been changed a lot after the Meiji emperor took it over. But maybe we can find some interesting things preserved in their archive.
Overview of the Palace from Grand Arc Hanzomon Hotel, photo by Jiang Wu
Overlooking the Palace from Ote Gate, photo by Jiang Wu

The Korean Gate高麗門 , photo by Jiang Wu

Map of Places Yinyuan visited in Edo City, created by Jiang Wu

No comments:

Post a Comment