Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Prof. Tu Weiming 杜维明 likes my book

Last week, during the Chinese new year, I called my former adviser Tu Weiming 杜维明 to send my wishes. I was flattered to learn that he is reading my book and he liked the conclusion particularly. He said I was able to put all important issues in the seventeenth century together and the argument will have an impact. I am really glad that he liked the ending. Although I did not write too much about Confucianism after I came to the states, the problematik of the intellectual transformation in the Ming-Qing transition has been in my mind for many years because of Prof. Tu's seminars. Thank you Prof. Tu.

The book was developed from one chapter in my 2002 dissertation he supervised. He told me at that time that a dissertation can not have more than five typos. I kept his words in mind for many years, especially when I published my own. Hopefully he didn't catch many typos in this book. Happy new year, Prof. Tu!

photo with Tu Weiming at his Harvard residence, ca. 2002

No comments:

Post a Comment